5 Reasons to be at Nova Scotia’s Inaugural Craft Beer Week
Halifax has long been a mecca for beer lovers and the beverage scene is only getting more diverse. As new breweries pop up, our province prepares to celebrate the vibrant craft beer culture of Nova Scotia at the inaugural Nova Scotia Craft Beer Week. Running May 8th – 17th, it will feature events fit for even the most discerning of beer aficionados. Still not sold? Then check out 5 big reasons to attend Nova Scotia’s Craft Beer Week.
- Kick off the week by visiting a brewery (or two…or four) on Open Brewery Day, happening on May 9th. See first-hand where and how your favourite beer is made.
- Sample beer brewed for the Stillwell Open on May 10th. Starting at 5pm, the public will taste test twelve locally-brewed beers in the running for the title of “Best Backyard BBQ Beer”. One beer will be eliminated per hour until the winner is crowned at midnight! Only one beer will triumph but I think we can all agree that the real winner will be the beer drinker.
- Brewing is a science (and a very precise one at that). Tap your inner scholar at the Discovery Centre’s Science of Beer event on May 14th. Feed your brain with presentations by local brewing experts on topics including, “The Mashing Process” and “Wild Fermentation”. Then feed your belly with samples and snacks from Ace Burger, The Stubborn Goat and Morris East.
- Get pumped for Full House Craft Beer Fest, happening May 16th at the Olympic Community Centre. The signature event of this week-long brew bash will include every member of the Craft Brewers Association of Nova Scotia, so it’s not to be missed. Ticket holders will get a souvenir glass and 12 samples (additional samples will be $1 each). Tickets are already over 90% sold out, so get yours today!
- What one thing is almost as awesome as beer? Brunch of course! On May 17th you can have both at the Stubborn Goat’s Brewers Brunch. For $40 you get a souvenir glass, first fill and a hot brunch buffet, including D.I.Y. Mac n’Cheese, house-made sausage, cedar-planked Atlantic salmon and warm waffles.
In addition to these events (and others), there will be tap takeovers and beer dinners to enjoy. Craft Beer Week is a chance to try something new and an opportunity to support local breweries and restaurants. Look at it this way: the more events you attend this year, the more likely Beer Week will become an annual event! This May, keep the local beer movement strong. and check out Nova Scotia Craft Beer Week!
Want to know about more events happening in Halifax? Just sign up for our monthly news blast!